Ep 5: Separating Happiness from Success with Actor & Filmmaker Jordan Maranto
Actors and filmmakers, you’ll love this episode! Jordan is an actor and filmmaker based in LA. She’s a proud UT alum and a former employee of the wonderful Blue Cow Restaurant. She has a very healthy perspective on acting with a day job and separating happiness from success.
Tune in on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
- Getting caught in the comparison bubble
- Separating happiness from success
- Taking class for fun
- Being an actor is expensive!
- Finding your niche in acting
- No shame in a day job
Acting with a Day Job
As an actor, I’ve often felt a lot of shame when it comes to having a day job. It’s like there’s this idea in Hollywood that if you aren’t paying all of your bills from acting, then you’re automatically a failure and probably not as dedicated to the craft as you could be. Which is a terrible way to feel! But I think Jordan has a really healthy perspective when it comes to working a day job. She’s not waiting to be happy until she no longer needs a day job, instead she’s finding it right now.
Jordan also speaks about finding a way to live your life with the knowledge that you might never become a “professional” actor. You might always need to have a day job, and that’s okay. Very few actors can make their living solely from acting, and it doesn’t make you a failure if you need to pay the bills with a day job.
Tune into the episode to hear the rest of our amazing conversation!
Mentioned in the Episode:
- Merlin Works – Improv Class in Austin taught by Shayna Merlin
- Howard Fine– Acting Class in LA
- Fine on Acting– Acting Book
- Shout Out: Blue Cow Restaurant
Watch Jordan in Episode 5 of Friend Request
Connect with Jordan:
Stay Up to Date:
- Follow whatsyoursecretpodcast and arigjohnson on Instagram
- Sign up for our newsletter to download Ari’s Secrets (otherwise known as what Ari is reading/watching)